Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Stuff for bisque firing in my new kiln

Slip cast mugs/cups. Relief pattern made by slip casting truncated cone wrapped in textured paper. I had lots of trouble making the plaster casts because my moulds kept breaking. Have now overcome that with a silicon mould in the shap of a large cup which I then cast into. Mould making is hard work, so much time is necessary to make your mould right. Otherwise you end up with a useless mould which replicates the errors that you made. Grrrr....
These mugs are not prefectly symitrical which I like. I don't often find work that looks like it came out of China appealing. Theres no emotion in the form, its souless. Unfortunately we have come accustom to these mass produced reproductions. I recommend taking the time to hold something in your hand that was made by hand by someone. Its a nice sensation. I recommend it. Even better if the object they have made is also nice or appealing.
These are some little coasters I am making for my sister. They are also doubling up as test tiles at the moment until I figure out the shape I am trying to get...
I am hoping to put blue green glases applied glaze on glaze.

No comments:

Post a Comment