Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Is there a market for things homemade or is it just for a niche group?

I have had a mug which I have had for a while and it has a slight imperfection. The others don't. The one with the imperfection is my favourite. It has character. I look for it in the cupboard, and it is always at the front. I find the churned out ceramics now in stores boring. Although they are pretty. There is nothing that holds them in my memory.
Maybe contemporary ceramic practice is legit, maybe it is just a cup or plate that can be discarded when it doesn't fit in anymore. But I like to think objects I collect are part of my home, my family eats from them, things are discussed over them, they are always there in the background and after a while they become part of our identity.
Many have memories of mum or grandmas 'good china' which was used for 40+ years! I don't think many people keep dinner sets for this long anymore.  I have some of my nans dinner set, its only a cheap one from Kmart but it still has a past and I like it for that.
As life changes so does the decor, its like a cleansing. Theres something missing from  this attitude instead of building up a collective memory we are trying to just replace them with a better version. The development of technology moves so quickly this is understandable, Music moved from vynal to tape to cd to mp3, all in about 20 years! Of course you want to keep up with the times, but aren't some things necessary to keep just to help our memories? Maybe thats just materialistic.

No comments:

Post a Comment