Friday, August 3, 2012

Disappointment and slight set backs

It seems that my idea for combining an earthenware and stoneware clay 50 50 may not be working as well as I hoped. I must admit I have pushed it to the limit as I know that even commercially made clays would struggle. I was trying to use stained clay and neriage. I am using drape moulds also.
This has resulted in my plates and bowls warping while the dry. I am so heart broken. I know it's not all the clay body it's a combination of the technique I'm using including stained clays combined and draped over a mould. I wonder if I should try throwing and using the stained clays as slip as I know throwing this clay does not result in warping when thrown.

I have been given some mid fire clay from TAFE to try. I'm not sure if I want to though as if I can't get anymore to finish the dinner set then it's a waste of time.

Throwing isn't easy at the moment with a little one. Hand building was quieter and less messy. But I'm sure I'll find a way.

2 comments:

  1. I seem to remember being told 20% earthenware to 80% stoneware was about as high as you could go if still wanting to fire high. Will see if I have any notes from my early TAFE days... See my Fb Group, Anna's Aussie Ceramics and I'm sure if you ask the question there you will get a response.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anna will do. In terms of porosity and shrinkage the clay tested really well. Or as good as any other commercial clay. I would think if I increased the stoneware amount then I would increase porosity when firing at cone 6 but it is well worth a try.

      I met Malcolm Greenwood yesterday afternoon and he suggestion with neriage was to drape fairly dry slabs to avoid a large amount of shrinkage on the mould and therefore avoid warping also. So I might try that too.

      Delete