Sunday, August 12, 2012

A few hours with a professional

Today I was lucky enough to go to Malcolm Greenwoods studio. It was a real privelege and an amazing morning. He shared so many of his techniques with me and I even walked away with a tool.

He said it was nice to talk to someone who shared an interest. I found it amazing to be able to talk to someone who has so much knowledge and experience, who is currently making a living in a really hard industry who was so willing to share some much of his knowledge. It really was amazing.

It was so nice to just listen to the odds and ends of what he does. The space he works in is fairly modest and considerbly open to the elements!! He uses every square inch of that space. He doesn't spend loads on tools. Everything about the space is really modest and humble. It was really intersting and also shows just how frugal and clever you have to be to make ceracmics profitable. There is no room from time intensive tasks if they don't add value to the end product. I like that method of working. Time is really important. He is so efficient in how he operates. It also shows how creative you can be not only in the creative process but also the running of a business.

I will never think of almost leather hard clay the same way again! It was amazing how dry he lets his slabs become before working with them. I can't wait to try it all out for myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment